Thursday 22 May 2008

The real world

Apologies for the long hiatus. I think I was getting unemployment blues, falling ill to every small germ that I perceived to be hanging around. These blues no longer linger. I am, once more, an officially productive member of society. I am working in basically, a call centre. While the work was quite interesting for the first few days, it is excrutiatingly dull now - largely because the sector I'm working for had been inundated with work, so went overboard and employed three casual workers where one was necessary.

It is, however, interesting in some ways to be at the bottom of the employment pile (in terms of office employment). The assumption is, of course, that I have barely scraped through secondary education, and am bereft of any intelligence. There are people who treat you as barely human, those who feel that it isn't worth wasting their time on you (to be fair, probably the category I fall into in the reverse situation) and the few who judge you on how they find you. And it seems to be that the higher up the pecking order, the more likely you are to judge on ability, not appearance - the most judgemental of all being one of my 'equals'.

Hm. Maybe I'm just bitching.... but I'm generally really glad to be back at work. All that stuff that lefties spout about ppl, generally, wanting to work has a fairly solid basis!

Stiiiillll, if anyone knows anyone who can offer me job in academia, I'd be very grateful!

2 comments:

Zoe Randhawa said...

ya know, it might not be your lowly position in the workplace that causes people to assume you're lacking in the intelligence department. tee hee, you left yourself so open to that one. :p

panda_head_curry said...

When we take over the planet, you can be Chief People Herder.

Whenever I'm feeling down and I'm in Oz, I just take the car out for a spin at dusk and see how many crossing 'roos I can nail.

Blogging at the end of the world

That's what it feels like. The country I live in is on fire, the apocalypse is with us. A thousand homes burnt to the ground. Communitie...