Saturday 22 March 2008

And what gives you the right?

It's been a momentous while since I updated the blog. Apart from the earth-changing events of my marriage and ill-timed honeymoon, I understand there have been a few changes in the Malaysian political landscape .

It is the right time for all those who wish to say 'I told you so', to do so - I do stand by my earlier comments on flawed electoral systems, but gleefully admit I was wrong about the 2/3 majority being unshakeable.

One person who doesn't seem to get it at all, though, is Dr Mahathir.

I am fed up with his 'I chose the wrong person', 'You were supposed to step down' carping on.

He doesn't seem to realise that his mistake was NOT in choosing the wrong person. It was in thinking that he had the right to choose in the first place. Yes, yes, he had the power to choose - due to manipulation of the UMNO electoral system. But power and right are not the same thing.

Dr Mahathir is still labouring under his most precious delusion - that he and he alone knew how to govern the country. And that he, and he alone, could choose his successor. If he hadn't been so arrogant, perhaps the people would have chosen wiser, and possibly sooner as well.

No comments:

Blogging at the end of the world

That's what it feels like. The country I live in is on fire, the apocalypse is with us. A thousand homes burnt to the ground. Communitie...