Thursday 7 February 2008

More aches and pains....

While Drusilla and I appear to have reached some sort of truce, possibly aided by the fact that she's getting more exercise, Dorian's physical fortunes have taken a downward turn. He's torn a muscle in his calf. Which of course gives me a good excuse - if I needed one - to be bossy and authoritarian. He he. BUT he has overcome RMIT's administrative hurdles and been offered a place in their architecture school. Yay! He starts some time in March, which means we'll be quite tight money-wise until I get a job, but he'll still be working part-time, so all should be fine.

Politically, I'm bored by both the US and the Malaysian elections. I do support the Toni Kasim campaign, because I think that she is highlighting important issues. This has nothing, of course, to do with the high esteem I have for Toni, oh no, but is purely about the issues - but seeing as they're part of the reason I hold Toni in high esteem... yes, needlessly circular.

I'm spending more time thinking about the issue of land ownership. And genetically engineered mosquitos (coming to a hypermarket near you!). But one or other of these is likely to be the basis of my next Sun column, fingers crossed, so let's see.

My contribution to New Malaysian Essays 1 has been reviewed by Joe Toscano from the Anarchist Media Institute, and the review is generally nice. What's a bit wierd is how he sees so much censorship in my piece. A Malaysian reading it probably wouldn't see any at all. For myself, it means that I am so accustomed to writing within the parameters, even when trying to push them, that I'm no longer aware of it. I'm not sure how to assimilate this information... I shall mull on it for a while longer before deciding!

And I'm still working on the Pisco Project. Expect to hear more about Pisco, pissoirs and pissants soon!

2 comments:

Amir Muhammad said...

where is the review ah?

Sonia Randhawa said...

Sadly, not online yet... the latest issue up is from December. Will post a link when it's there!

Blogging at the end of the world

That's what it feels like. The country I live in is on fire, the apocalypse is with us. A thousand homes burnt to the ground. Communitie...