Monday 12 November 2007

From Bangkok

By Siew Eng:

I had my own adventure of sorts in Bangkok.

When I arrived a little after 2pm at the embassy, I was surprised to find people outside since I didn't think there was anything organised there. They were from Thai NGOs, showing solidarity with us - lovely, ain't it? They told me they had just submitted a letter to the embassy and we exchanged information briefly.

Then the embassy security guard, whom I had taken to be "okay" because he was smiling and carrying a bunch of yellow carnations presented to him by the Thais, also asked for my name, which I gave readily, thinking that the embassy should know that at least one Malaysian was there.

(Yeah, I'm naive that way.)

A second later, he told it to someone else, who jotted it down.

Yep, Special Branch.

I would expect harassment from our own force, but had thought the Thai police more clued in to democratic rights (coup notwithstanding), since they have been allowing anti-coup protests.

Nope. Same mould as ours.

And here's a damn big disadvantage when it comes to protesting in Thailand - I had no way of holding to account the Special Branch officer who took down my name. I kept saying, "Why is he taking down my name?" "Have I committed a crime?" "If the Malaysian embassy wants my name, I'll give it to them; this is none of the Thai police's business"...all water off the duck's back. Only the "friendly" security guard understood what I was saying but even he could not answer me. I was getting rather agitated to the point that my new Thai friend asked whether I was okay when I had finished my tirade.

Well, I wasn't. I was upset that I had to face harassment from the Thai police, who also took pictures of me. There were about 10 of them and four in plainclothes (btw, I have come to the conclusion that SBs have a universal look - properly combed closely cropped hair, ruddy face, heavy-set body, pot belly, steel-tipped boots...and when it comes to Thai SBs - a Pathunam amulet-pendant around their thick necks).

Our points made, our pictures taken, I thanked my new Thai friends for being there. I must admit I would not have relished facing the Thai police/SBs on my own and vowed from then on that the only demonstrating I would do would be on my own turf. At least at home, I can READ their bloody name tags.

I left for Chaktuchak after that, thinking I could get more "eyes" on my placard - salah strategi; everyone there (including me :-) had eyes only on the many goods on sale.

However, it was not a total loss as I met a friendly Thai shopkeeper who could speak English well (thank you, god!) and we chatted about politics (he admires Mahathir (!) except for what he did to Anwar), my placard (he was shocked that we get only a fortnight's notice for the polls) and compared Thai and Malaysian police. The lovely man affirmed my indignation at the Thai police's noting of my name, saying the very words I had uttered at them, "Why? It's none of their business!"

Of course, I bought some stuff from his store after that (discounted for me on top of the sale price) and promised to bring my Malaysian friends there whenever they come to visit.

So that was two heart-warming encounters with the generally lovely Thai people and one unpleasant brush with the Thai police.

I was lucky.

No comments:

Blogging at the end of the world

That's what it feels like. The country I live in is on fire, the apocalypse is with us. A thousand homes burnt to the ground. Communitie...